Total damage inflicted to the capital by the enemy came to 6 billion rubles. |In August 1944 a commission of eminent Soviet architects arrived in Minsk to give practical assistance in the restoration and reconstruction of the city. The Belarusian architects actively joined them. The commission suggested "a draft idea of the Minsk city planning", which was approved by the Belarusian government at the end of 1944.
The authors' group of Belgosproject (the Belarusian State Design Bureau) consisting of architects N. Trakhtenberg and M. Androsov, engineers K. Ivanov, V. Tolmachyov and R. Obraztsova started working out of a new postwar plan for planning and reconstruction of the city. By the beginning of 1946 this plan was finalized and approved by the BSSR Soviet of People's Commissars.
Implementation of the general city-planning scheme began with the construction of a number of major industries in the northeast and northwest parts of the city, and, close by, residential areas were also being constructed.
At the same time, a new city center was being erected, its composition axis being Lenin Avenue, Lenin square, Central (Oktiabrskaya) square, Victory square, Yakub Kolas square and a parkland along the Svisloch river. Multistoried apartment houses and public buildings were being built in these areas. In 1950-ies there were built the BSSR State Bank, Main Department Store (GUM), Main Post Office. The building of the Teachers' Training Institute named after M. Gorky was restored.
Subsequently, Minskers witnessed the construction of the Palace of Belarusian Trade Unions, the Circus building, the hotel "Minsk". The survived-in-the-war buildings of the Government House, of the Belarusian Communist Party Central Committee, of the Opera and Ballet Theatre, and the new complexes, such as the "Dynamo" stadium and Privokzalnaya square, blended harmoniously into the post-war aspect of the city center. In 1954, the Victory monument was erected in the Round square, which was subsequently renamed into Victory square.